Monday, February 26, 2007

7th Day of Piggy Year

Shoulder aches, damp moist walks, laughters, giggles, grumbles, chats, silence, and silent smiles, questions, ponders, and decision-making. These are words which would describe the Saturday morning which led up to the house's CNY dinner. Of course, preparations were half done before the day. I really have my friends to thank for..for all that they have helped out. It definitely wasn't easy to cook for a number of people trying to make sure all come out nice and warm at once. Personally, I realised something...that I need to figure out a way to make my cooking more efficient. Tried as hard as I may to multitask, I would have expected the dishes to come out p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y given the time and effort that had been put in..especially by a very helpful houzzie who helped and handled everything so well from start to end and never complained! *_*

Well, to kick off the chronicles, we came back from shopping 35 mins walk away from home with kilograms worth of food. Stashed the food away and ate brunch. I was left alone in the kitchen and made cookies. I was drop dead tired that morning. Staying up late the night before and waking up early could have been the culprits. I wanted to take a nap, but less than half an hour later, there was a knock on my door. Housemate asked me when would I want to start. Well, since I was already awake, it was right away. We continued making cornflake cookies and then started slicing up the ingredients for yee sang (it was the 7th day of the new lunar calender). I overlapped some ingredients and after halfway slicing, we started rolling spring rolls. =) It was all fun. hehe. Then, we rested for half an hour thinking that we were early. I guess I overestimated certain things. Haha! Work continued with chinese new year music played from the laptop with the slicing of food, preparing the siew yuk (roast pork) and deboning the chicken, the latter being wonderfully done by beloved housemate. =D I started roasting the pork, fried the spring rolls, prepared the veggies, and then back to ingredients for the sweet and sour chicken. Wah, a bit of a commotion when it was already nearing meal time. Cooking of rice, turning over of the roast pork, preventing some food from getting burnt.. The last thing to prepare were the toppings for the yee sang......The table was cleared, wiped and being gathered around. Photo time ensued while waiting for another friend to arrive. *phewh* all was done in chirpy moods.

Meal time was great. The tossing of yee sang, eating, talking, chatting, joking, teasing, laughing..

Post main-meal was great too. Cookies, mandarins (CNY ma!), and tong yuen! *yummy*!

The results:











I personally enjoyed everything from start to end, making, till cleaning and packing; and, the meal wouldn't have turned out without the wonderful help by my housemate. Thanks wehh..

No comments: