Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Obesity !

Today, I went for a stroll at ONE retail outlet - Believe it or not, I went all the way out to town, and only went into ONE retail outlet. I'm such a terrible shopper!

Anyway, I was flabbergasted when I saw how this outlet was promoting their new arrival collection for spring/summer. There were banners above the racks stating something like - NEW BIG DRESSES -

The collection amassed many very pretty dresses. BUT, I overheard quite a few chatters going "This is size 6. Can you believe it? It's huge for a size 6!".
What was happening is that, in this country (UK), everyone is getting large. So, there is the petite range, and the range for the 'larger' clientale. BUT..the sizes of clothes are the same.

I will, for the convenience of your idea, disclose my size - in the UK. I normally wear size 8 - 10. In these retail outlets, a size 10 in 'petite' is smaller than a size 10 in 'normal', of which is smaller than size 10 of 'big'. So, no matter which section you're going for, you can claim that you're a size '10'.

No doubt, its only fair that consumers of larger sizes have their own cuts and designs to fit them better. I do agree with that. BUT this used to be put as size say, 16 or 18! Than size '10' from a 'BIG' range.

It only comes to show how the society, size wise, is changing. And how everyone is trying to be politically correct, but with detrimental effects, as far as I am concerned. I have been aware of this, but it has now come to light how society is adapting by making it the 'norm'.. That, is WRONG.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get it. S,M,L,XL doesnt work?

ShuLy said...

No - here, its numbered. not in alphabets. perhaps its more 'disclosed' ? again, another 'polite' deceit