Sunday, May 28, 2006

Organisations..

Politics:
Hmm...MIC elections are coming up..! yay! more entertainment!
I wonder....how long should a person stay in office...Are there any sociology students out there who studied on the effect of duration with a minister in ONE post for decades?


Organisation:
I just read an email, with the subject of: "Emergency Appeal For Palestine" from my Msian Student Society in Cardiff who forwarded it to all members seeking for donations to the Palestinians. This indeed has raised my eyebrows as to what the purpose of a student society should be. Indeed, we should help out those in need. However, there are some things which I believe need to be ironed out and priortised. One thing about donations is that you'll never actually know if the money is put towards the proper channels, especially in a country where havoc is a pandemic.

Though I am no longer in the committee of the society, I am still a member who is truly concerned and have a deep-seated sense of belonging for the society...per se. I know that there is a lot more that this society should be doing. But more so, I am concerned of how it is leading it's members. Is the information given out trustworthy, reliable and commitable?
Should this be a priority?
Or would it merely be a decoration to the portfolio?

(i quote 2 excerpts from the email:
"This is the time for us to show our apprehension towards this global humanitarian issue."
"Do give your support as a caring and kind-hearted Malaysians" )

Words such as these can sometimes give a sense of guilt to those who decide not to help out. Coersion, persuasion and the play of words. they could be misleading...

Visions should not go forth without sight and clarity.

6 comments:

Wei Kang 小康 said...

haha...i was reading this article when somebody popped her head out of the window n called my name...

luckily it wasnt in the midnite...

:P

(i m bored too lar...but wat to do...exams coming 1 after another...)

Wei Kang 小康 said...

Hm...cant really leave a proper comment regarding to this article..
I m not v keen about topics like politics n organisations...i m more interested in topics such as 'Family...Friends...Classmates...' hahaha..

The Weiyang said...

Okay, maybe I shouldn't be saying anything here, but I can't help it. Really.

What you should be worried about is where the money you donate (or did not) will go. Will it go directly to the people who are suffering without American and European money? Or will it go to a ruling party that condones suicide bombings on civilians and whose stated aim is 'the destruction of Israel'? Folks might be blaming Israel, America and the EU for refusing to negotiate with a government that was democratically voted in, but remember, Hamas is a party that would not accept the existence of Israel at all. A choice between the lesser of two evils?

Of course, I could be wrong. I did not read the email and neither am I studying where you are so what would I know.

Just so you know, I'm not a supporter of either side in this conflict, but I can't stand watching folks at my uni wear t-shirts proclaiming 'Don't play play with Islam' and 'Palestin Hak Orang Islam' as if it's a foregone conclusion that Israel are the bad guys who shell little kids on their way to school. I've just gotta say something. A thousand apologies if its too long or missed the point completely.

mrbherng said...

I don't know whether did you realised the line the that particular mail. It said that help were freezed from getting into Palestine. So even if we helped, where will the donation go to??

ShuLy said...

ah..weikang...nice. and yeah, knowing you, you are the 'classmates, friends and family' kinda bloger. i will blog about that..

monkticon said...

haiyaa...donate to the "Monkticon for the needs ASSociation" better. When i get rich i will donate some to charity...sounds like a plan?