Sunday, August 27, 2006

Indulging Independence

A few random youths' point of view in theStar: "Independence is.."
[Scroll down and you'll see mine ;) ]

Where do we go from here...?

49 years since we officially gained independence.

What is independence to you? Are we, as youth of the nation born post-independence merely joining in the celebration just for the hype of it? Do we truly feel a sense of joy and pride with our beloved motherland?

6 years ago, I wrote a lengthy poem which came almost naturally. 6 years from then, I found it difficult to express myself as smoothly or as optimistically about our country & independence. Over the years, I have grown to be less idealistic and more realistic. Perhaps it was the exposure and experience encountered; or perhaps it was the knowledge of the truth gained. Knowing all these did affect me in a way. At the same time that I believe the deep-seated sense of passion in me still exists, I am also wondering if my optimism would wane as the years pass. I hope not.

No comments: