Sunday, June 03, 2007

Spice, the fragrance of life; or rice?

Life is quite cliched. You know what is going to happen next and you can expect it quite easily - most of the time.

I slept late and woke up rather early. But not that early in my opinion. I wanted to start off work first since I tend to get distracted if I switched on my computer and then it automatically connects to the wireless network (yeah, my computer's fault for auto-connecting! haha!) My willpower and determination is not very sheer I'm afraid. So here I am, enjoying my routine Sunday mornings sipping a cup of coffee while reading the news online. I sure do miss buying REAL papers.

Many things captured my interest today. There is so much going on in the society today; both local and international. One of the reads that I made was about the ESUM Public Speaking Competition held in London. One of our fellow Malaysian managed to enter the finals while the other did not. Congrats to both of them. At this point, I am missing London and would like to visit around. I would definitely regret not really experiencing London before I go back to Malaysia. Ok, that's a sidetrack. Anyway, yeah, for public speaking, it seems as though the "winning" topics are the ones which touch people's heart and about something personal; something which affects your daily life. Perhaps it is inspirational to be able to influence on an individual basis besides the fact that the topic is easily related. Speaking on a broad and ambitious manner is no longer very likened - just my opinion. I suppose it is because everyone wants so many better things but yet there is no practical action taken personally to achieve that.

Eg: I want the world to be a greener place. Therefore, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle is one way to go. You then go on talking about policies made by developed countries, how it can be improved; how some countries are not doing enough but instead exacerbating the situation; how unrecyclable or non-recycled plastic bags are used during shopping...bla bla bla.

Then, there is the story about how you might do that on a daily basis (we do it over here. UK people are very much an environment-loving society) and your actions to make sure that the people around you do so as well. How you make your community practice RRR effectively and if successful, ensuring it's sustainability. Slit in a few jokes and laughs like how you fetched water from a well, and/or a few granny's sayings.

Practicality seems to be in favour. por favor.
"Aim high shoot low" is the phrase that comes to my mind now.

(=P It always triggers what a friend told me a few years back when I mentioned this. He said something along the line of that's what he does in the toilet)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

surprised you still remember. us guys and toilets go back a looong way ya know...

ShuLy said...

haha. and you chose to remain anonymous. but yeah, i do remember. *winks* and i am surprised that you still do too.