Wednesday, October 01, 2008

ha-ha

I think that people's feedback and opinions here count a lot. Well, at least so they seem to picture it to be. However, whether or not any action is taken to it is another case. Despite this possibility, I somewhat believe that action is being done..in Cardiff, mainly because I have had consultants and academic teachers approach us to ask us, personally, for our feedback.

Recently, Cardiff University's Medical School has come under scrutiny. It scored very very low amongst the students satisfaction survey. In fact, it came right on top!!...As the lowest in the country. Mind you, not Wales as a country, but United Kingdom. Ha-ha rite?

That said, there are still the pros and cons. Not everything is bad. BUT...one good does NOT cancel out a bad. People MUST understand this. One can do 3 goods and 2 bads, but the overall picture of this person is "good". There is not such thing as a summation or subtraction, of positive or negative equation to this.

So...the bad of the school was highlighted. Let me share the good bits I think of this place. One MAJOR highlight, is the opportunity to have dissection classes. Not many medical schools in UK has this in their syllabus anymore. Most are pro-sections. When I started off, dissection classes were tedious, dreadful and time consuming; where many grasp the chance to flee and hide themselves somewhere far away. Yet, today, and in the past year, I thought that those classes helped me a lot, in my understanding and familiarity with SURGERY. I think it was cool to know the structures during theatre opportunities, and this form of "Ooh, I've seen this before, I know this!" has cultivated an interest towards surgery in me.

Do I want to go into a surgical field in future? I don't know. I really don't know. The competitiveness and difficulty of it seem to be putting me off. *sigh*. This is where you have to match your abilities. It's not just what you want.

No comments: