Thursday, January 21, 2010

Big Bad Bowels

I was meant to write about a surprise finding last week but never got the chance to do so. I am, afterall, a rather busy girl. (Don't laugh!)

Well, what happened last week was that I got quite a big surprise when I attended a surgical teaching at 8am - Yup, surgical teaching starts dark and early, and yes, I am doing my medicine block not surgical. Anyway, not very many turned up. Attendees were meant to be consultants, registrars and house officers. As I recall, only 1 consultant was there, 1 registrar, 3-4 house officers and 3 medical students, including myself.

Oh, the surprise. I have not forgotten about that one. It is that I have just met the youngest consultant surgeon thus far! I am not sure if he is really that young, or is looking young. I perceived his age at 28-30, only because I know how long it takes, minimum, to train up to be a surgeon. If I hadn't known who he was, I would have guessed that he was a house officer who is 25. No kidding. Have I shed upon you my bewilderment and amazement yet?!?!?

Anyway, the topic was interesting too. Literally. It was about fluid management and said multiple times to be a 'dry' topic. Funny eh? I think so anyway! Hah. I thought fluid management was a very interesting topic. I don't have a clear understanding on this topic and have taken this topic on board personally to learn it in the past few months too, so it was very nice to be briefed on it. Oh, fyi and btw, there are new guidelines out there for management of fluids to you nerdys out there!

The consultant intercepted the registrar's presentation several times and asked us questions too - mainly directed at the house officers. However, there were times when he opened the questions too. Nice and interactive. Me likey. Best part is, he was very encouraging, and gave time for the audience to think, or gather the courage to speak out. I think that this is a very important thing to do and I hope to be able to do similarly in future. Sometimes, people tend to ask questions and have little patience to actually give a chance for others to answer. It is because that they know the answer and think that is 'easy' and simply don't have the patience. It makes teaching and learning so much more exciting this way.

I wish I had more confidence in answering the questions. And I wish my mind would be sharper and be able to pick the apt words instead of a flurry of descriptions to that particular word. Nonetheless, kudos to me, because I managed to answer a question right - when a house officer hadn't got it quite right. =D yay! brownie points for me. Oh, and he also mentioned a practise which is ongoing because it is a hand-me-down like thing, i.e consultants telling junior doctors how to do things according to their preference and likings. It is true that these are generally the older consultants with decades of experience and practise. Then he said, he is one of the younger and newer surgeons. Haha. I am probably not describing the situation like it is, but take my word for it, it created a funny moment for me. Thus, I shall coin this young consultant a "neosurgeon"

All said and done, above all, with all these thoughts running through me, I was smiling throughout this entire teaching session... =) giggling away almost. Its just something about learning new stuff and perhaps, surgical related?

So, a week later...
This neosurgeon consultant gave a presentation during the grand round. Pure brillance. I have to mention, he is a colorectal surgeon. It was definitely skimmed to the brim. I think there is so much going on beyond what was presented. Exactly like how skimmed milk is made. There is the soil and fertiliser for the grass, the cows who graze on them, the milk produced, the way it is being supplied, the process of pasteurising it, churning it etc until it reaches the shelf of consumers, sold by the pints (P/S: 1 pint of semi-skimmed is 45 pence in Tesco).

After listening to what he presented, a realisation came upon me. I realised one of the factors how he reached where he is at now so quickly. That said, I am only guessing his age based on appearance. Definitely young. I do wonder..if there are any other similar paths. Not impossible given current directions of surgery here - as far as I can understand and see (its not very much). Have I piqued your interest into the topic presented yet? It was on laparoscopic colorectal resection. For curious minds out there, first performed in the US of A in 1991 (his data, I never double-checked).

One thing mentioned is FOB testing and F/U with colonoscopy to detect colorectal ca. Ironically, I just came across a recently published article (published 10 days ago) that colonoscopy only reduces the cancer risk in the left side. That's only one paper. I did not do, nor am I planning to, read up on other related publications. Right (pun intended), I'd like to say that thoughts about how much in depth that a medical student has to know are cropping into mind now. Its fascinating, but it would not help me pass the exams. And I am concerned. Sigh. However, I shall leave that for another time.

P/S: I also had another amazing teaching from another colorectal surgeon - on hernias. From embryology right up to complications! Wicked! And he has not performed a hernia op in the past 15 years.

P P/S: I managed to answer a question from another-nother surgeon and he mentioned that no one had managed to answer that particular question in the past 10 years! Woop-woop! Credits to me again. Little boosters in order to proceed with life that I so direly need. =DDDD

No comments: