Saturday, February 06, 2010

Fight or Flight



I still get my voice stuck in my throat when I explain things to patients. It is easy to take a history and examine them, because that's what we were taught and trained to do. There is a sequence, an order, and expectations. So, I took it upon myself to start talking to the patients after a history and examination. I am worried to say the wrong things, give the wrong impression, putting my foot into my mouth. But I thought, if I don't try, I'll never learn. So, what is the best practice to learn without causing any significant or even minor problems?

I find it rather difficult when it comes to explaining my findings to the patient or a management plan. What should I say when they ask, "What is the blood for? Do I have a heart attack? Why is this so painful? Will I die?" If I just do the history and examination and not start a conversation at the end but instead excuse myself to discuss with a senior as I would have explained to them at the start, all will be well. It is these non-anticipatory questions that throw me off the sequence/order.

When I told a man my findings - that his heart beat was a bit on the slow side, he asked me why. Clearly, he was worried. So, how do I tell him without causing him more worry. Mind you, a patient can detect and sniff out young docs anxieties. I sure can!

It is so easy to see and hear how the consultant or senior registrar explain and in your head you go, "Yes, this is very good. The content is flowing out completely and very smoothly. Its like any other conversation. I probably can do it too." Then, you realise, it is NOT THAT EASY. Not for me at least.

I hope I don't cause any bad loose ends for the next HO/SHO seeing them.

No comments: