Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Smiles throughout..

Right, great day again today.
Good start for the week. No Monday blues.
The only bad thing - was the weight I gained over the weekend. It was a complete, 100% eat-sleep cycle!

Was there a good 10-15 minutes early, made sure I knew what was happening for the day - and that early minutes paid off. Consultant was happy with what I knew, especially when no one else did. haha. But of course, I understand that I'm merely a student. I'm not working and thus have no dire responsibilities. Also, I had the weekend. It definitely helped though, and I was more than happy to be of use. Saved a lot of time, troubles and prevention of negative aura for the team and ward staff!

Its sad to see certain things happening that I shall not reveal here.
However, it also meant that I was the only other person in theatre today.
Only 2 lap chole-s on the list. Was quite happy nevertheless because I have suturing skills teaching which I was looking forward to go to (especially since I have unduly respect for this consultant as well - p/s: he's a Malaysian!). I was more than happy to assist anyway. Secondly, I can't leave just like that.

So, there I was, holding the camera. Many would have been bored, but me, being me, wasn't. I don't know why. Just like how I told the ODP trainee the other day when she asked me what I wanted to specialize in. When asked to elaborate, I came up with the truest answer - that there is just something about it that makes me not sleepy during it despite only having 3 hours of sleep the day before. Must be something, right? I gave myself further thoughts, it is something that I am willing to wake up early for or in the middle of the night. Can't go too wrong with that right?

Right, back to today, I've been scrubbing up and assisting for all his surgeries anyway. So this was no different. Until....he removed the err..forceps thingy from the port thingy (I don't know why I can't remember despite numerous repetition!) and told me to swap places with him. I then realised that he wanted me to have a 'go' at lap surgery!!! Okay, may I remind everyone that for me, the patient always come first, and for this consultant, more than ever. My hands amazingly did not tremble when I put the instrument through the port. What I did then was to hold/retract the g/b and clip the cystic duct. He had to help me a little with the angle of the clip thingy - thank you for that because I had no idea how to work it out. With divine intervention, I managed to get the duct between the clip and clipped it!

Okay, so that worked fine, but it was removed (hahaha) because there was no space to cut. But hey, hand-eye coordination and depth of view were not easy achievements! =P

Next patient - again, he let me clip!! This time, not once, but all 3 clips! And walla! It went perrrrfectly. I got the position right the first time in both occasions! And, no need for removal nor correction from him. I didn't cut, that would have been asking too much, and I don't think I would have liked it either. One step at a time, I'm happy.

I closed one of the port sites too. Start to end. =) Very pleased. Normally I get to suture midway. Glad I gained his confidence in allowing me to start (with knots too!) and end - including local anaesthetic. :D *whoopieee* shuly is a happy bunny!

So I missed my suturing skills session with the cute msian surgeon. But I got the chance to learn how to do it on the g/b instead!!- Very thankful and appreciative of my consultant who took time to show to me; he knew I missed it for his surgery. I did rush off to see if its still happening after the case. It was over, but hey, got the chance to see this other consultant. HAHA! He was very encouraging - he was considering going through with me briefly, but I didn't want to trouble him and told him that I'll ask the others who attended. Guess what, he told me that if I needed any help, come up to him anytime and he'll teach me. How kind!!! *I'm so blessed* Even told me his OT/OR schedule (not that I don't already know) and compared it with my consultant's schedule (they're both in the same specialty).

Right, and to think that they day has gone tremendously well (it is around noon by now), it went better! I stumbled upon my consultant going to his office, and he passed me something, and we met this young consultant whom I've blogged about previously. He seems to be something great here - taking an admin role as well. I wonder if he's Head of Dept. Anyway, my consultant commented on the lack of coordination between teams such that his team had to go somewhere else .. and thanked as well as praised me in front of this 'young' consultant! I didn't know where to hide my head now. I think my mind went blank - as I said, I always thought of my consultant as a respectable figure who encourages, but not really saying it out loud. Have you watched "the Invisibles"? I felt like the girl/daughter there when he repeated what he said.

I walked with this 'young' consultant down the corridor, and he said something to me, which just added icing to the cake for today. I didn't need any. I was already too shy to have anymore.

The afternoon went well, the evening too. The night, not so! No work done!

Again, I'm saying this not to gloat. This is more of an encouraging effect. And I should know better to not let it get into my head. It would not. Never.

Feelings are there to be shared, and I know my friends would be more than happy for me without having negative feelings.

I am thankful and appreciative for all the opportunities that I was given. And if there is something that I can share here, is that it pays to wake up that few minutes early.

No comments: