Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Rattle..

During 'teaching' sessions today, prior to a lecture, a group of students came into the lecture theatre to give a short slideshow on a charity project. I am not sure why, but it inspired me quite a bit..to help and give assistance wherever I can. However, it made me feel quite disappointed with myself, having the lack of drive to reach out and work towards what other selfless people are doing. There is so much that others are doing, and although you can do it as well, you just don't take the initiative to do so. You sincerely want to help them, but you just don't put enough effort. but yeah, on a harsher note, but still very rational, I guess I am not being sincere enough, not being as selfless as that and ... lazy.

Yet, at the same time, I am in wonders of those volunteers working on the project. They take the effort to contribute and help out. The sweat and toil and time invested into it. It has been mentioned that it will look good on the CV. But imho, I'd say that it takes a bit more than the want to imprint a good cause on the CV to actually execute the charitable act. Again, I wonder, if those contributing financially are already financially established. If this is the case, it would mean that one has to be financially stable for oneself and family before helping others. Thenceforth placing monetary gains at a rather high in the hierarchy. If I want to help them in a certain aspect, I would need to be financially capable. As materialistic as it may sound, money does make the world goes round - (and for those sarcastic scientific-minded souls) besides gravity.

So, what can happen besides actually putting myself physically in line to contribute, help and assist is to top it up with financial assistance. Means, I have to work to get money. And money from work would mean sourcing from one person to give another. A Robin Hood tale? Not quite. Some people are actually squeezing all their finances to get their loved one nursed back to health. The world simply isn't easy. Nobody ever said it was. All of us have our own struggles. Some of us might be better off, some, not quite. Not fair ain't it? Everyone wants to have their own comfort and luxury at times, more often than not. Self-indulgence prevails.

That lead me to another thought...on how huge the impact of the media is; specifically advertising. It affects every being! What an interesting world mass communication, media & advertising are. The ability to influence souls just by playing around with a couple of their senses combined. That's rather...powerful.

After class, I was watching this tv series and it depicted the interaction between people and their work - with family, friends, each other, and even towards oneself. Found out that though all of us are "related", be it a stranger walking behind you or the man singing by the sidewalk. It isn't easy to be able to have a casual connection/relationship with one another. And what more between people who are connected - friends, collegues, lovers, family. There is the need for so much of understanding, trust and sincerity going about, just to name a few.

I have the utmost respect to parents who performed a miracle in building a happy family. They are really angels. Also acknowledging those who pulled themselves up after experiencing glitches in their lives.

I do wonder what will happen to me in the near future. There's still this girl in me unwilling (or perhaps unable) to grow up and learn. I am immature. I need to think before I talk; Ponder before I perform; Consider before I conceptualise.

I want to be more understanding...

2 comments:

Wei Kang 小康 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wei Kang 小康 said...

A person doesnt just grow up in few days' time. Neither does a person can be a mature individual in just a short period.

Of course, you may learn from other ppl's experience. However, we need to go through certain things in order to develop our maturity to a higher level. All these will take quite some time so if u think u are not that mature yet, dont have to worry, coz i m sure that one day u will realise that u are actually a mature person when u have enough experience in your life.

We learn lessons in our life. And bcos of the lessons that we have learnt, we become more mature.

Good luck, SL!