Saturday, December 05, 2009

What's in a name of "Professionalism"?

In a recent article published in the BMJ, a survey was done on how patients and medical professionals (namely doctors) view professionalism. One aspect which was surveyed was behaviour, and the other, dress code.

As medical students, it is part of our conduct and requirement to 'dress appropriately and professionally'. However, in this survey, it was found out that many patients are not as bothered to the doc's dresscode but rather, their behaviour in itself.

Yet, I struggle to comprehend. We live in a society where first impression matters, unfortunately, but acceptable. Perhaps we were told to dress professionally and thus allmost all doctors and medical students alike would dress adequately to the medical school's satisfaction. Lack of public's exposure to these misdemeanours might just cause the public to care less. What you see is what you get ain't it? If you are unable to see anything bad happening, it will not disturb you thus you'll not put it according to importance. Generally that is, in the wide scheme of event.

Secondly, earning gap between female and male doctors. Sexism is all over the place. Some for the right reasons, some not. I believe in acknowledging and respecting differences. :)

Sometimes, I don't understand why so many doctors would want to work part time, and mind you, medical students yet to graduate are planning to do so! This part time hoolah is to the extend of coming in twice a week, for a few hours. Is this because you're in a position where you can demand to be paid and the supply is conveniently there? What's the story here? You want the job as to provide healthcare, or is earning comfortably and sufficiently are suffice for your likings? On top of this part-time jobs are holidays and leaves in between. Perhaps i am being cynical towards non-committal doctors. Perhaps I am just not a wife, or mother yet. But I know I am a medical student and it has already impaired my learning.

3rd issue. To what extend do we need to practice evidence and statistic based medicine?
Evidence change all the time. No statistics are perfect. There are too many confounding factors. Yet, we need them in order to claim that we are doing 'good practise'.
Well, I think that's good in a way because we need to think and consider what's best. Hoorah, we're using our brains than merely following guidelines! :D I'm lazy. I'll just follow, for now. I tried reasoning out these good practices and found the literature too confusing for me to think about. Its like ... YouTube! One link links you to another relatively relevent one and another and another and by then, you've spent so much time, seen so much, yet, only able to remember minor details of each..unless its interesting. *D

Everything needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps these days, we need to take a heaped tablespoonful instead.

Educational psychologists suggest that to acquire elite levels of expertise, in any field, requires about 10000 hrs of practice. Given that surgery requires both cognitive and manual skills, you kinda have to double that (says them - I shall remain humble and quiet since the word 'interest in surgery' is mildly ostracized [talk about the confound of irony!] in non-surgical fields). MPs are not going to change the law, which once accepted isn't easy of course - on top of it being a whole continent's! Back to evidence and statistics: Hard evidence need to be provided to support the claims of threatened patient safety in lieu of the EWTD. Indeed, doctors need to be given some life beyond work. That said, some of us really got no life, and work is our life. And wouldn't you agree that a nation who champions on human rights should give a right for people like these a CHOICE to work and contribute to the healthcare? Back when America reduced their doctors' working hours, there were rejections from several groups! The reduction? It was to bring the work hours down to 80hrs weekly! Oh, how interesting this is! I am just going to have a cuppa, get naked, tuck myself under my 100% blended Egyptian cotton with 500 threadcounts sheets, get a book out, or a man by my side and enjoy life. HAH!

We all use evidence nowadays to back our truth (except in certain countries - haha). Very good practice. I live in wards (mori)bound to definitions, guidelines and requirements made by others (hopefully in my best interest, and the patients of course - they deserve it). I follow, of course, but I have to admit, sometimes, I cannot fully reason out why. Also, I realise that I have failed to grasp the basics of physiology and pharmacology. Who's fault? Mine! ... I hope to improve.

And yes, perhaps surgeons are close to God, because 80hrs weekly (official) for 5years = 20800hrs can be replaced by 48hrs weekly (official) for 5 years = 12480hrs, for the similar end product.

Oh, and btw, a magazine printed on 100% recycled paper = good and environmental friendly rite? Caveat: "except for the front page". So, one has to manually remove the front page before being able to recycle it? I wonder what is the volume of BMJs published per issue. And, I am assuming that recycled paper be recycled again. Can it?

No comments: